Saturday, September 20, 2008

Goat Cheese, Thyme and Tomato Tart


The boyfriend and I have this pact where we try to have alone time every once in a while. My "alone time" usually consists of staying home, watching a movie or reading a book and making an individual meal. I've been meaning to try making a tart for a long time but seeing as I have no tart pan, I thought I'd just try something extremely simple following Delia Smith (I love Delia!)'s recipe for Goat Cheese, Thyme and Tomato Tart. I didn't have any puff pastry on hand so I used some phyllo dough which was leftover from an apple strudel a while back.


It takes only 30 minutes to bake, and you can sit back and enjoy it with a glass of wine and a side of salad.

Goat Cheese, Thyme and Tomato Tart
Make 1 individual serving

4 pieces phyllo dough
2 roma tomatoes, sliced very thinly
3 oz goat cheese, softened at room temperature
1 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
Olive oil spray
Sea salt and pepper to taste

In a small bowl, mix together goat cheese, thyme and milled black pepper. Slice the tomatoes thinly and sprinkle with sea salt.

Unroll each phyllo dough layer onto a work surface and spray with the olive oil spray. Fold the layer into half. Repeat for the remaining 3 layers and stack them on top of each other to yield 8 layers of pastry.

Spread the goat cheese mixture onto the prepared pastry, leaving 1-inch strips free on all sides. Layer the cheese on the goat cheese lengthwise on the prepared pastry. Top of with more freshly ground black pepper.

Bake at 325°F for 30 minutes until pastry is golden brown and the tomatoes are roasted.

No comments: