Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Celery and Beef Stir-Fry with Noodles



Last night I wanted to use up the rest of my kale for a pasta dish that had anchovies. All was fine and dandy, I made the colorful farfalle pasta, blanched the kale, tossed em' all up and sat down in front of the TV to watch the Democratic National Convention. Then I realized that I forgot to add anchovies or salt to my pasta. All it turned out to be was a bland myriad dish of colours that tasted like grass (not weed, grass... pish!). Oh, woe is failing memory and the hustle bustle of life. I will try to make the pasta dish again at some point, if I can remember to put up a big note on the refrigerator that says. "ANCHOVIES. SALT. DOOFUS."

Today I woke up feeling all blah and bloaty and needed a something to give me a jolt for the rest of the day (Believe, you me I spend half the year staggering around being blah and bloaty). I made a spicy beef and celery stir-fry which went with some Chinese-style noodles. My mum used to say that celery would help get rid of water retention (and then she would proceed to make some really nasty tasting celery/burdock root soup). The dish may be a little too spicy for some, so you can just cut down on the dried chillis.

Celery and Beef Stir-Fry with Noodles
Serves 1 (About 430 cals)
Prep time = 15 mins
Cook Time = 10 mins

3 oz. chinese flour noodles (use the long, flat dry type for chow-mein)
2 oz. stir-fry beef (I bought the ready-cut ones at the store, but you can use beef tenderloins and sliced them up)
2 stalks celery, sliced diagonally to yield about 1 cup
1/4 sweet onion, sliced
1 tbsp minced garlic

Marinade
1 tbsp sweet soy sauce
1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
1/2 tsp honey
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp minced ginger
2 dried chillies, crushed
Chopped cilanto, optional

Sauce
1 tsp corn flour
1 tbsp
reduced sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp beef broth or water

Marinade the beef for about 10 - 15 minutes. Cook noodles according to package directions. Crush the red chillies and get rid of the seeds (just use a spoon and smash the chillies on your cutting board, discarding the seeds).

Heat 1/2 tbsp olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add in garlic and onion and saute until onions are translucent.

Add in sliced celery and stir-fry on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Turn heat up to medium-high and toss in marinated beef. Be sure to add in the marinade as well. Stir-fry for about 5 - 8 minutes until beef is no longer pink. Make sure you don't overcook the beef - as soon as there are no visible pink parts left, you can bring the heat down to low.

In a small bowl, mix in the ingredients for the sauce. Slowly pour it in to the beef stir-fry. Turn the heat off and give the beef a good toss. Serve it over the noodles and garnish with cilantro.

No comments: