Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Chicken Scaloppine and Arugula Salad



I realize that in recent days I've been posting a lot of arugula recipes, mostly first because I like arugula-flavoured politics (*insert ding-dong cue*) and also because I bought such a huge bag and forgot that I would be home alone for two weeks. Hence the unfortunate near-daily arugula dinners.

Also, I have a practice session for my defense tomorrow and needed a super easy and quick dinner. I found a similar recipe at marthastewart.com for this, but I made one that's a little different and has some tomatoes and capers. A light hefeweizen or Sauvignon Blanc pairs excellent with this meal, and you can round it off with some home made garlic bread.

Chicken Scaloppine and Arugula Salad
Serves 2

1 chicken breast, butterflied two yield pieces
2 cups baby arugula leaves
1.5 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 medium lemon, cut into wedges
1 medium roma (plum) tomato, sliced
1 tbsp capers
Salt and pepper
Parmigiano.

Wrap the chicken breasts in cling film and smack them with a meat mallet or a hevay pan until they are flat and thin.

Season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet and sear the chicken on medium-high heat until cook through. The meat cooks faster if you prick it a few times with a fork. Fry for about 5 mins on each side.

In a bowl, toss the salad, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil and capers. Arrange on plates. When the chicken breast is cooked, lay it on top of the arugula salad, top with tomato slices and shaved Parmigiano.

No comments: