Tuesday, October 7, 2008

It's Town Hall Night! Onion, Garlic and Italian Herbs Beer Bread


OK. Here's two things you need to do if you're watching the Presidential Debates tonight: 1) Drink... a LOT, if you want to offset the dull ache of "My Friends" ringing in your ear 2) Eat a LOT, if you want to offset the boredom that comes with listening to 90 minutes of earmarks, Fannie and failed economic policies, Fannie and earwaxmarks. You can read the minute to minute outtake of the debate here.


If you're looking to combine the best of both worlds, try out this savoury beer bread recipe with some grapes, sliced cheese and fresh butter on the side along with tons and tons of your favourite Oktoberfest Marzen.

We bought a variety pack of Sam Adams a couple of months ago, and the box came with 4 bottles of Boston Lager (which we never touch, and never ever drink... yelch), so I used that for this recipe. You can use any kind of beer - even shitty cheap ones. An apricot wheat would work perfect with this though.

P/S: McCain just talked about healthcare and hair transplants. Is he poking fun at Joe Biden?!

Onion, Garlic and Italian Herbs Beer Bread

1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 bottle (12 fl. oz.) beer
1 large white onion
2 cloves garlic
4 tablespoons butter or cooking margarine
1 tsp each of:
Dried Oregano
Dried Thyme
Dried Basil
Dried Parsley
Dried Marjoram
1/2 tsp black pepper

In a skillet, heat up the butter and saute the onions and garlic and half the herbs until the onions are slightly browned. Drain the butter from the pan into a bowl and set aside.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9X5 loaf pan.

In a large bowl, mix together the all the dry ingredients, including the herbs. Make a well in the center and gently pour in the beer. With a spatula, mix the flour until all the beer is incorporated.

Add in the onions and mix into the dough. The dough will be be super tough and sticky. Use your hands to incorporate all the flour if necessary. Turn the dough out into the prepared loaf pan.

Bake for 55 - 60 minutes until a skewer or knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Set on wire rack to cool completely.

5 comments:

aleta meadowlark said...

Ahahaha, yeah, I had the debate running while I made fudge, and oh man, it's like listening to my grandmother bicker with my grandfather. And "my friends" is almost as obnoxious as Palin's generous Northwest colloquialisms.

Glad you like my blog and hey, I like yours too! Looks like we have similar tastes--I added you too. =)

Anonymous said...

Ha! So glad I found your blog, you witty thing, you.

I think I've got McCain-shell shock and if someone ever calls me "my friend" I think I'll kill them.

Cheers,
Robin

test it comm said...

Beer in bread! So good! I bet this bread smelled amazing while baking.

Kirby! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kirby! said...

Whoops! Sorry about deleted comment. Ironically, I was drinking a beer when I wrote it! Meant to say that I made this and it was beerlicious, thanks!